Nothing compares to the sense of calm flowing water gives to people. Many prefer to have a standard swimming pool in their backyard, but there are those who elevate the experience with infinity pools. The innovative design – where the vanishing edge makes you feel you are one with the horizon – is breathtaking.
How Does an Infinity Pool Work?
An infinity pool is a type of pool that plays a visual trick, making an optical illusion where the water at the pool’s edge seems to vanish into the horizon. It makes one think that there’s no physical barrier between the surrounding landscape and the water.
But what really happens is that the water going over the edge drops onto a catch basin below it. Then, the water is pumped back from the basin to the main pool. This facilitates the water’s continuous flow.
The mechanism in infinity pools is similar to a natural waterfall wherein the water seems to vanish into thin air. The water actually goes to a lower waterfall, to another one, until it arrives at a stream or brook.
Aside from its aesthetic appeal, an infinity pool also has a calming effect. Many homeowners appreciate the tranquil sound of running water within their property.
The Cost of Having an Infinity Pool
It’s hard to give an exact estimate of the cost of building this type of pool. Each one is built in such a way that it matches the potential location. One thing is for sure, these are rather more costly than standard pools. This is due to the following reasons:
- Infinity pools need expert engineering.
- An edgeless pool requires more structural work. Preparation includes building an artificial slope and reinforcements. These tasks are completed with the highest standards to make sure that the pool is durable and safe.
- The cost of the holding tank also increases the overall price. It’s like a second pool that holds 1/3 of the total amount of water in the main pool. It should be made with the same quality and standards as the main pool for safety. It also needs to be installed in a manner that hides it from plain view.
Designers estimate that adding a vanishing edge increase the cost of the pool by 30%. That’s just for one disappearing edge. Some infinity pools are built in a way that the water flows to another side of the perimeter. This increases the cost further.
Can You Transform a Regular Pool Into an Infinity Pool?
It’s hard to turn a regular pool into an infinity pool once it’s already built because the construction process is entirely different. So, you would need decide before you install a pool.
Best Locations for Your Pool
Infinity pools don’t work well in all types of properties. You need to settle for a regular one if your backyard is flat and has no elevation change.
You need to find a location with a substantial slope or drop-off to maximize the infinity pool’s effect. A wooded area, mountainous area, or another body of water will serve as a perfect backdrop. Choosing the perfect site will ensure that your effort and resources will not go to waste.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Infinity pool technology is more complex than that of a regular one. Therefore, you can expect that it has more maintenance requirements such as:
- Regular maintenance of the water catchment basin
- The water pump and filtration system need to be monitored regularly. Water recirculation will be compromised if one part becomes clogged or breaks down.
- The water that flows over the infinity pool’s edge into a basin evaporates faster than in a regular pool. You’ll need more water to keep the pool constantly full. This plays a big part in maintaining the illusion of the water falling over the edge.
- Monitoring the pool’s pH is also a must since the water tends to evaporate quickly. Do this by checking the water twice a week to maintain the correct pH range.
Some owners are concerned about the safety of swimming in infinity pools. Always remember that the disappearing edge is just an optical illusion. You’ll encounter a wall once you go to the edge of the pool.
If you accidentally flip over the edge in a rare occasion, you’ll end up on another platform. But if you fall off that second ledge, that’s another story. That is why security in pool areas always has to make sure that no one plays near the pool’s edge. They even call out those who lift themselves up to look over the edge.
Talk to Cherry Pool Services About Your Dream Residential Pool
If you are looking to have an infinity pool installed in your residence, or in need of cleaning and maintenance services for your existing infinity pool, you can rely on Cherry Pool Services. Our team has the knowledge and experience to help install, repair and clean your pool. Cherry Pool Services can help clean, check pH levels, and detect issues before they cause big problems. Book an appointment today!